Friday 8 August 2003

WALKABOUTSVERSE 11 OF 230

Poem 11 of 230:  OTHER SIDE

On the road from Inverness to Glasgow
    (A very scenic road it is),
I hitched with a pair - Italiano;
    The left-hand-drive Fiat was his.

I think they had taken turns at driving -
    I’m not sure from where or how far;
But, when they picked me up from my hiking,
    The lady was driving the car.

I recall how warm their greet did feel,
    And what a thrilling trip it was;
For, as their hands fought over the wheel,
    Our lives came near to loss:

I was sitting tight on the back-right side -
    My ears off their argument;
But my eyes surely knew how close beside
    The oncoming vehicles went!

We arrived without a scratch at Glasgow,
    But it begs this probe, I feel -
Why did our forebears decide to go
    Either side for the new wheel?

(C) David Franks 2003

Fiat found in Notting Hill, London; 26/9/15